July 26, 2013

Hulk Smoothie Recipe

I LOVE smoothies! Visiting a smoothie establishment used to be one of my favorite things to do each week. However, one can quickly empty the pocket book when buying smoothies for a family of five.

After looking into high-powered blenders, I decided to purchase a Vitamix, so that I could make smoothies for my family at home. One of the biggest benefits of having my own smoothie maker is that I control the ingredients that my family will enjoy.

I know that many parents have success in getting their children to drink their fruits and vegetables in smoothie form. I haven't been so lucky. My children have watched me make enough smoothies to know that: I almost always add spinach, there are usually one or more ingredients they wouldn't eat on their own, the color of the end product isn't always pink (a color they associate with good tasting smoothies).

I have found a way to combat the aversion my children have to drinking the smoothies that I make. I will be sharing my secret in a future post, so please stay tuned...

Onto the recipe for my Hulk Smoothie. This is a great breakfast smoothie. It is thick, and filling. If you don't prefer a thicker texture, you can always add some water to thin the smoothie to a consistency of your liking.




Ingredients:

5 Nectarines (peeled, and sliced)
1 c. Lowfat Vanilla Yogurt
1/2 c. Cooked Quinoa (I make this smoothie when I have leftovers from dinner)
1 Handful of Fresh Spinach
1/4 c. Craisins
2 tbsp. Ground Flax Seed
1-2 c. Ice

Directions:

Place the ingredients in your blender. I recommend using a high powered blender for making smoothies. They do a much better job of blending the ingredients into a smooth mixture, and the motors are built to handle larger volumes of food.

Begin blending on the lowest setting, and slowly increase the speed of the motor to the highest setting.

Blend until all ingredients are well incorporated.

Pour into your favorite glass, and enjoy!

*Please note: My smoothie recipes generally serve a family of five. With two larger servings for the grown-ups, and three smaller child-sized servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment